Deeds and Records Relating to James Alexander Who Died in Anson County, NC, 1753
DEEDS FOR ANSON COUNTY, NC: some of the land may have been in other NC counties or in SC after all county formation and boundary changes.

Many of the records in this appendix were originally provided to me by Robin (Rankin) Willis, a descendant of Samuel Rankin and James's and Ann's daughter Eleanor. The abstract of the deed from James to son John is missing in Holcomb's publication, but Ms Willis found a typed copy of the deed in the county archives and provided the abstract. -- Author's note

The Colonial Records of North Carolina, Vol. IV - 1734 to 1752, William L. Saunders, Secretary of State of NC (Sponsor), Broadfoot Publishing Co., Wilmington, NC, 1993

This may refer to a member of Anguish's family, who settled on Rocky River.
Colonial Records, Vol. 4, Page 1040, 7 April 1750: "Land grant to James Alexander, #02, both sides of Rocky River, 640A and 400A in Anson County."

Anson County, North Carolina Deed Abstracts, 1749-1766 & Abstracts of Wills & Estates, 1749-1795, by Brent H. Holcomb, CALS -- Deed Book B

While this abstract seems to be in a Rowan County deed book, the land and the person to whom the land is granted are in Anson County. Although the deed is dated 1752, Rowan County was not created until 1753.
Deed Book 3, Rowan County, 25 March 1752: "Granville grant to James Alexander of Anson Co., Gent., 640A in Anson adjacent Andrew Kerr. Witnesses John Dunn, William Alexander. Notation in the margin: “to his widow”

Deed Book B, Page 314: 12 Jan 1753, James Alexander of Parish of St. George, Anson Co., planter, to son James Alexander Junior of same, planter, (1) half of 640 A on Cadle (sic, Coddle) Creek and (2) half of 500A on Catawba, for love & good will...James Alexander (Seal), Ann Alexander (admin), Test: Wm. Mackey, Henry Hendry.

Deed Book B, Page 315: 12 Jan 1753, James Alexander to son David Alexander of Anson Co., planter, for love and good will . . . half of 640 A...so as not to hurt improvements made by my son Robert. James Alexander (Seal), Ann Alexander (admin) (Seal), Wit: Wm. Macky, Hen. Hendry.

Deed Book B, Page 315b: 12 Jan 1753, James Alexander to daughter Elener Alexander for love & good will . . . gray mair & three cow yearlings . . . James Alexander (Seal), Test: Wm. Macky, Hen. Hendry.

Deed Book B, Pages 315b - 316: 12 Jan 1753, James Alexander to son Robert for love and good will . . . half of 640 A & dwelling house where I now live . . . James Alexander (Seal), Ann Alexander (admin) (Seal), Wit: Wm. Mackey, Henry Hendry.

Estate of James Alexander: 8 Oct. 1754, Ann Alexander, Jas. Carter, John Luckie. Before Charles Codgell, Junr. (This was determined to be a bond from Anson County, by deeds from James Alexander & wf Ann; See Anson County Deed Book B, pp. 314-316)

Brent Holcomb (last paragraph) apparently overlooked this deed when he published abstracts of Anson County deeds, which is understandable since it is almost a repetition of the deed made to James Junior; however, Robin Willis found the deed in the archives from Anson County.

Pages 314-315: 12 Jan 1753, James Alexander of Parish of St. George, Anson Co., planter, to son John Alexander of same, planter, (1) half of 640 A on Cadle (sic, Coddle) Creek and (2) half of 500A on Catawba, for love & good will...James Alexander (Seal), Ann Alexander (admin), Test: Wm. Mackey, Henry Hendry.

Abstracts of the Deeds of Rowan County, North Carolina 1753-1785, by Jo White Linn

Book 3, page 495: 10 June 1756, William Alexander, eldest son & heir of James Alexander, to Robert Alexander orphan of the sd James, under 21 and brother of sd William (James died intestate 15 June 1753) for 75 sh, 6d paid by the widow Anne Alexander, mother of sd Robert and William, 320 A on both sides Cathey's Mill Creek. Robert Gray, Francis Beatey. Prvd Apr. Court 1757.

Book 3, page 498. 10 June 1756. William Alexander, eldest son & heir of James Alexander, to David Alexander, orphan of sd James, under 21, and brother of sd William, by his mother Anne, widow, for 7 sh 6d sterl, 320 A on both sides James Cathey's Mill Crk/ Robert Gray, Francis Beatey. Prvd Apr. Court 1757.

Court Order Book 1, Amelia County, Virginia, 1735-1746. Abstracted and Compiled by Gibson Jefferson McConnaughey
Deed Book 1, Amelia County, Virginia, Deeds 1735-1741. Abstracted and Compiled by Gibson Jefferson McConnaughey
Deed Book 2, Amelia County, Virginia, Deeds 1742-1747. Abstracted and Compiled by Gibson Jefferson McConnaughey
Deed Book 3 and Deed Book 4, Amelia County, Virginia, Deeds 1748-1753. Abstracted and Compiled by Gibson Jefferson McConnaughey

19 August 1742, Court Order Book 1, page 218A: "Petition of Stephen Collins and John Hayes, dism’d, defendant to recover costs. James Alexander, witness for Collins, paid for one day’s attendance."

16 May 1746, Deed Book 1, page 315: "James Allexander to James Ewing. Consid: 60 pounds. Wit: None. 300 acres, bounded in part by mouth of branch N/S Fort Creek, Samuel Ewing's cor., and the creek . . . James Ewing paid 60 pounds, consid. Money for the land, on May 15, 1746 & obtained possession. Deed ackn. by James Allexander on May 17, 1746 & ordered rec., after Ann, his wife, relinquished her right of dower."

Uncertainty whether this William is James's and Ann's son
19 July 1749, Deed Book 3, page 278: "John King, weaver, of Augusta Co., VA, to William Crockett. 20 pounds. 200A on both sides Falling Creek adj Caldwell's lines. Witnesses: William Smith, William Alexander, John King Jr."

30 September 1749, Deed Book 3, page 371: "James Alexander to John Reed. For 42 pounds 10 shillings, 300A north side Fort Creek, adj Col. Randolph, Robert Galaspye [sic, Gillespie], James Ewing, Samuel Ewing and James Parks, with all houses, etc. Witnesses: John Cunningham, Patrick Sheilds, James Reed, William Crockett and William Watson. John Reed obtained possession and consideration, paid 30 Sept 1749 in presence of four witnesses. (Ann is wife of James Alexander). [Note: the abstract contains this parenthetical expression.] Deed proved oaths 2 witnesses 16 Mar 1749 and by third witness on 21 Sept 1750 and ordered recorded."